Is Apple FaceTime HIPAA Compliant?
Apple’s FaceTime video calling feature was one of the most popular features on the iPad 2. In July 2010, rumors claimed FaceTime calls weren’t encrypted, however, Apple dismissed those rumors and told the public that the entire FaceTime conversation stream is encrypted.
Apple’s FaceTime could have a lot of potential in the healthcare industry. Healthcare communications are evolving and patients are contacting their physicians on a regular basis. The introduction of FaceTime video chat created a lot of interest in the healthcare community, however, many healthcare providers are concerned about potential patient privacy issues and HIPAA compliance.
According to Apple, FaceTime can adhere to HIPAA standards and become compliant through proper configuration. Here’s a few security measures in place to ensure FaceTime video sessions are HIPAA compliant:
- The iPad supports WPA2 Enterprise to establish authenticated access to enterprise wireless networks.
- WPA2 Enterprise uses 128-bit AES encryption to protect data sent or received over a Wi-Fi network connection.
- FaceTime sessions are encrypted end-to-end with unique session keys.
- Apple creates a unique ID for each FaceTime user to ensure calls are properly routed and connected in a secure manner.
For healthcare organizations, FaceTime offers many potential benefits, including the following:
- Increase the exchange of information among physicians.
- Provide greater convenience to patients.
- Improve the overall quality of patient care.
FaceTime also opens the door for more complex opportunities to utilize the iPad and iPhone’s front-facing camera as part of telemedicine systems. Essentially, Apple’s security measures could turn the iOS platform into a leading source of advanced medical health innovation.
To learn more about FaceTime’s potential in the healthcare industry, give us a call at (571) 499-4349 or send us an email at email@example.com. Owia Technology can help you maintain HIPAA compliance while utilizing FaceTime in the workplace.